Monday, July 03, 2006

Team Buckley

The gleam in a daddy’s eye usually refers to a man thinking lustful thoughts about a woman. In B’s case the gleam is caused by the vision of a Carolina Hurricanes jersey with the name Buckley on it and his offspring in it. Therefore, one of our most sincere wishes for this child, beyond health of course, is that he or she will inherit B’s athleticism. We have discussed the alternative and politely agreed that our child’s career in athletics, with my genetic input, would be an uphill battle. Not that B hasn’t tried to elicit some kind of athletic response from me. In fact, through his patience and my determination, we’ve gotten to the point where I can play nine holes with him as long as we stock me up with plenty of old used balls, play best ball, allow me to use a tee on the fairway, and do not keep my score. With this victory, he has stopped the horrific practice, thank God, of tossing me things out of the blue like keys or grocery items. Deer in headlights was all he ever got with that particular tactic. But I would imagine that this child, very early on, will have things, soft things, tossed in his or her direction. I think all we’ll need to see is a reaction of any kind and we can rest easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home