Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Completely Reasonable

Although I can’t claim to be a textbook case of how to behave during pregnancy, I make up for some of my weaknesses with a remarkable aptitude for rationalizing my behavior. Yesterday I was horrified to realize that throughout the course of the day I had eaten ¾ of a pound of hamburger. I did the math when I was in bed last night thinking how virtuous I had been for eating a bag of baby carrots and an apple, when it occurred to me that I had tacos for lunch… and the rest of the leftover tacos for dinner. I have not had a hamburger since I got pregnant because meat hasn’t really been very appealing –especially if I can’t smother it in cheese – but the old el paso sang a siren song to me yesterday and I made up for lost time. The fact is my gringo heart will always belong to the hard shell and ground beef that cannot be found on any authentic Mexican menu, which is funny because I am actually taking a trip to Mexico next week... Anyway, this thought process led me to the conclusion that I am subconsciously engaging in a cultural assimilation, which would absolutely excuse the amount of hamburger I ate yesterday and then some. And this explanation allowed me to fall asleep guilt/worry free, which rationalizes my rationalization, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home